IN THIS EPISODE of The Tithing Hoax Podcast, I discuss whether sowing seeds is a new money hustle? As more Christians learn the truth about tithes, is sowing seeds replacing tithing as way of getting more money out of people?
I think more and more preachers are (or will) place more emphasis on sowing seeds rather than paying tithes.
- Christians are more educated about tithing. They are learning that the modern-day tithe (paying God 10 percent of your income) is not supported by scripture. As a result, they are less likely to pay so-called tithes to a church, ministry or preacher. So, preachers are shifting from telling followers to pay tithes to sowing seeds.
- Sowing seeds doesn’t have a negative overtone. It sounds better than “pay your tithes” or “give us some money.” Increasingly, more Christians are turned off by tithing, and sowing seeds is viewed in a more favorable light. It doesn’t have the negative baggage that tithing does.
- Sowing seeds may be a more effective way of generating money, because it’s more appealing than so-called tithing. Also, sowing seeds implies that the money you sow (give) will be given back to you. As a result, people may be more inclined to sow a seed (give money).
Is It a Hustle?
Yes and no. As I stated in an earlier podcast, there’s nothing wrong with preachers using sowing seeds as a metaphor for giving money. As with anything, it becomes a hustle in the hands of a hustler. There are many upstanding preachers, but there are bad apples who use religion as their hustle.
The challenge is to recognize the hustle. Red flags should go up when you hear things like this:
- You’ll receive a 30, 60, 100-fold return when you sow your seed.
- Your seed (money) when multiply when you sow it.
- If you want your blessing, you must sow your seed.
Many of us grew up in church or have gone to church all our life. We’ve give hundreds and thousands of dollars to the church and preacher during that time. If it were true that your money (seed) multiplied or you would receive a 30, 60, 100-fold return, then you would be millionaire or multimillionaire by now!
Watch out for the hustle!